Hello from Southern Madagscar!
Well I apologise for the the delay in letting you know what I'm up to. We've had a very very busy few days and schuduled email time was yesterday, but all of a sudden the regional government declared a bank holiday and everything shut. Only in Madagascar!
I also appologise for this blog. Its going to be a bit rushed. I've got a welcome party to go to!
The week I had in 'Tana' continued to be fantastic. I made loads of friends and spent time being invited over for lunch and meeting families as well as touring rural 'Tana'. The people are wonderful and the only complaint I would have is the way the men percieve the mythical female Vahazava (white person). Every majority country (my newly adopted term for third world etc. will explain later) I have ever been to has had a perception that I have more money than I actually do. But here the men absolutely expect you to pay, and I learnt this the hard way. Over and over, actually. For example, I was invited out for pool and dinner with one of the guys that worked at the hostel, he was quite aware of the fact that I had no money as he was the one that helped me make numerous calls to visa to try and get a replacement card (which happens to be in Moldovia now thanks to UPS). Anyway to make a long story short he and his three friends throughout the evening, pretended to put gas in the car, which I contributed to. Then they didn't have the right change for pool, so I paid; then I paid for dinner, because no one else offered and I figured it would be nice of me since they were taking me out. Then I was asked to pitch in a little more to drive me home, which i did, but they wouldnt' drive up the hill...as it wasted to much gas! Another friend insisted on escorting me home from his neighborhood on the bus, which I paid for, and then when we got to be hotel he said goodbye and informed me he didn't have cash for the return trip!!! Each time it was a different reason and in total is was prob only $15, but still rather anoying.
The majority world: The majority of people live in a world like the one I am experiencing right now, the minority live in our world. I much prefer this term as up until now I have found all others inadiquate.
The rest of the group that I will be with for the next 9 and a half weeks are fantastic. I will deffinately be talking like a Brit when i get back though, I've already got the upwards lilt at the end of my sentances. We are only 6 which I've learned is super small for Azafady standards. The last group was 20! I really glad we are small, we will get so much more out of the experiance.
Rachel is 22 and has done a lot of voluntering and traveling around the world. She has a degree in Internatinal development and french and is super keen about everything. She's always cheerful and loves to laugh. Catherine has been working in fashion mags in London and has also
done a lot of travelling, she is closest in age to me and we have a lot of similar experiences. We've had some great chats already. Elsbeth is a farm girl from rural england and did her degree in Environmental Science specializing in Soil! We've already become really close and giggle through our tent walls at night. Nina is the youngest and is super geared out for the trip - she's only 18 but is super mature and very well spoken. Richard of course is our token man and token American. He is completly unfased that he is here with 5 girls and is really easy going and taking it all in with awe as he has never been out of the country. In all we've joked and giggle our way through the last few days but on the other end everyone is hardy and super keen to be here. Brett, the founder, mentioned that he has never seen such a studious group, we've all been taking notes at every lecture.
Azafady itself is brilliant. If I felt like I chooe the right organization before I left I feel it 10 times more now. Our schedule for the next 9 weeks is pretty tight but we are spending this week aclimatizing and learning the intricacies about the organization. Every morning and afternoon we have a detailed lecture on different aspects of the organizatyion (Environment, Health and Sanitation, Welcome from the founder, etc. Because we are only 6 we won't be building a school but our first project is out in a very rural community (fucuntani) building a latrine for their hospital. We do everything right from mixing the cement for bricks to digging the hole. The camp is going to be super basic and I'm hoping that I can cope with my way to tiny tiny tent. The camp is in a beatiful location at the base of some amazing mountains. And there are beaches everywhere although most of them we are not allowed to swim at. Including the lake across the road as there are crocadiles in it.
I'm a little concerned about they state of my body when I come out of the bush. We've been told that we will definatley get tropical ulcers, likely get malaria, and that it may rain for two weeks straight! By the way this is the last time I will be able to email until we return on the 4th of Feb!
I'm learning about the Malagsy culture and about what is fady (taboo). You cannot point, buy salt after dark, or touch dogs. Also they will not tell you what to do, only suggest, so I have to be extra carefull to follow the guides as they will suggest something..and I'll say no thanks...and then realize that I have to do what they suggest. I hope I don't get in trouble..you know what I'm like with rules!
Anyway I'm going to have to run, I haven't even had a chance to read this over, check the spelling, or load any more pics. But I love you all and Thank you so much for making this wonderful wonderful experiance possible.
5 comments:
Fabulous Jenn! Look forward to the whole story. I'll be well back in Vancouver by the time you get back to email. Love C.
Hi Jenn! Im jealous! About all but the tropical ulcers. What ARE those exactly? lol. Malaria too! Yikes. I thought your taking methaquine or something. That should do you, if you take it. Especially if they are saying the odds are not in your favor for getting malaria. I have heard that it is not too pleasant, to say the least! Anyways, Im glad your enjoying your experience so far. Have fun digging the latrines. It is tough work as those holes have to be pretty deep. Good thing thats your first project, you'll still be excited to start working. Anyways...
Do they have those small tiny monkeys there? Hug one of those for me... xxoo
tropical ulcers?? booo.. try to avoid those! It sounds like u are having a blast jenn.. can't wait to hear about it all.
take care!!
miss ya!! dan
I like the way those guys schooled you on Madagascar social economics. Sounds like a night out with George.
Anyhow, why is that when white people visit Africa, words like "malaria", "Aids", and "severe dihorea" become romatic? Just wondering.
hey girl.. im a litle jealous but so thrilld for you, youll get so much satisfaction out of this and no matter how small it may be its sure to make a world of diffrance to all those you help..iv bn talking with yr dad recently about my idea of helpng wth maintenace in small villages over ther and it seems he is keen to join me.. would be gd to have a small group but i thnk yr right about the less of you there are the more youll get ot of it... as far as tropical ulcers go i thnk washing wth warm water as often as you can will help prevent it(or is that tropical fungus im thnkn of:-))sumthn else to look out 4.. and i advise you to do anythng you can to avoid maleria ive seen sum1 nearly die from it! it aint pretty and once youv got it its always there... anyways hug a limur 4me2 luv p
Post a Comment